The Health & Safety Authority (HSA) now recognises the PHECC First Aid Response (FAR) training course as meeting the needs of occupational first aid.
This 2-Day course is open to anyone who currently holds a valid Occupational First Aid or First Aid Response Certificate which is due for renewal – even if the previous training was not provided by us. Refresher courses are essential every two years to maintain your status as an occupational first aider, to keep up with developments in first aid and to refresh skills learned previously that may be only intermittently used.
The refresher course incorporating the CFR Community standard offers a recap of the original course and is designed according to the identification of training needs of the individual participants of each class.
Following the FAR Refresher course participants should be able to:
- Deal with life-threatening or potentially life-threatening conditions until the arrival of emergency medical services
- Provide an adequate response for conditions not thought to be life-threatening but are necessary to prevent further harm before the emergency medical services arrive
- Provide first-aid in a wide range of environments including the workplace, home and recreational settings
- Display the requisite personal skills including composure, competence and self-confidence while understanding their limitations
2 days. Can be completed on consecutive days or over a number of weeks.
Course Content/Topics Covered
- Patient Assessment
- Incident Procedures
- Cardiac First Response (CPR & AED, Choking & Stroke)
- Common Medical Emergencies (Asthma, Diabetes, Seizures, Poisoning & Fainting)
- Injury Management & Shock (Bleeding, Bone Injuries, Sprains, Strains & Dislocations, Shock)
- Care of the Unconscious Patient
- Burns & Electrical Injury Care
- Hypothermia & Hyperthermia
- Information Management & Communications
- The Well-Being of the First-Aid Responder
Course Ideal for
Those who have a Current Occupational First Aid certificate or First Aid Response Certificate nearing its expiry date.
No. of Participants
The instructor student ratio is 1:8 for practical skills sessions.
Our approach to training incorporates both practical and interactive learning, giving the participants the confidence and ability to put theory into practice and to cope with real-life situations that may arise in the workplace. Our instructors have years of practical experience in front line emergency care and tutoring all levels of learners.
The First-Aid Response Course is classroom based and has been designed to balance theory and practice incorporating scenario-based training to achieve the learning outcomes and competencies specified in the PHECC standard.
An assessment takes place at the end of the second day. There is a practical and theoretical element to the assessment. Participants complete a multiple-choice examination paper and undertake skills assessments. In order to be successful, participants must achieve a mark of 80% or greater in each element of the assessment.
Successful completion of the First Aid Response Refresher course leads to joint certification by both PHECC and Order of Malta Ireland as a recognised institution. All successful participants will receive a certificate and wallet-sized certification card which is valid for two years. Recertification in First Aid Response is required every 2 years.
This course can be provided at your company premises or at our Training Centre.
Health & Safety Authority: Statement in Relation to Occupational First Aid – 6th June 2018 Statement in Relation to Occupational First Aid – 22nd Nov 2017 Statement in Relation to Occupational First Aid – 31st Aug 2017 Statement in Relation to Occupational First Aid – 2nd June 2017 Statement in Relation to Occupational First Aid – 23rd Feb 2017 First Aid FAQ’s
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC): Website